September 11, 2011

Busy Bag Swap: Day 11 (Popsicle Matching)




Brandy and I met a few years ago when she took a coupon on class that Heather and I taught.  Then, we spent 3 days a week together this summer in the Women's Challenge at Blackbox. I was thrilled that she wanted to join the Swap and am thankful that she keeps popping back into my life.  Brandy is one of those girls that you meet and instantly adore. She has such a sweet and warm spirit. A smile is always on her face. 



Family:  This is the most current family picture I could find, and it was taken in April! This is my husband Luke and our 2 daughters Kelsey (15) and Saylor Grace (20 months).
My Blog is www.yesterdaysmemoriestomorrowsdreams2.blogspot.com
although it hasn’t been updated in quite a while!
How do you spend your free time:  I am lucky to be able to stay at home with our youngest, but it is hard to find free time!  I love sewing and making hairbows during naptime.  I also enjoy reading and my new found love Pinterest!  I should also consider updating my blog during my free time!  
When you were a child, what was one way to spend your day:  I loved spending time outside!  I lived in a neighborhood where there were lots of kids my age.  We were always outside until we were called in to eat!
Fondest memory with your mom as a child:  My mom was a stay at home mom so she was always home with me and my sister.  She always had homemade snacks and treats for us, and still does! 
What does special time with your children look like:  In the mornings Saylor and I snuggle in the chair with my coffee and her milk cup and a big picture book.  It’s how we start our mornings!  Special time with a busy 15 year old isn’t as easy to get!  We like to make a special trip to the mall, or to the movies.
Favorite outdoor activities with your kids:  We love to play outside and swim, but lately it has been so hot!  I think our new outdoor activity with daddy for the next few months is Aggie Football!
A favorite tradition that you want to pass down with your kids:  We are still working on creating traditions with our family, but love celebrating holidays and birthdays in a big way!
The busy bag assignment I was given was Popsicle Colors.    I followed the directions from http://rootsandwingsco.blogspot.com/2010/06/summer-popsicle-activity.html but used felt instead of paper for the popsicles.  The project was fairly easy, just a lot of cutting!



*************





I used glue on the felt, but next time I think I would sew the pieces together to make them more sturdy. 

There are a couple of levels of play for the popsicle stick. 

The easiest level, which I use on my 20 month old, is just match the colored end of the popsicle stick to the popsicle. 

For the older kids learning to read, they can match the color word to the popsicle. 


 
You can also use the numbered ends to have your child show you the number of popsicles on the stick. 

PRICE BREAKDOWN
I bought ½ a yard of each color which was too much felt.  (5x$2.50)
2 bags of wide popsicle sticks at Hobby Lobby (2x$1.88)
Glue
Scissors or rotary cutter
Markers
I am so glad that I was able to be a part of this swap!!  I’ve already used many of my busy bags and it was a lifesaver at the doctors office last week.

Downloads:
Instructions

**Terms of Use: We'd love for you to feel free to use the files that the ladies in our Busy Bag Swap have worked hard to create, but please keep in mind that the printable images and files on this site are some of our ladies own exclusive designs. They have been generous enough to freely share them.



The terms of use for using the free printable crafts and activities are as follows:  You may share these printables with students, friends, neighbors and family or even with your child's class full of children. As long as you share for personal use only. Please do not post printables on a web site - instead provide a link back to the original posting on this site. Linking to the original page is both welcome and appreciated.



*****************************
Go check out Pipe Cleaner Fun on Grow today!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea and I would like to use it for a swap I am going to. I see you said 1/2 yard was too much. How many did you make with that? I need to make 14 and I have no idea where to start with how much felt I need.

Kate said...

Hi,

I'm an EFL teacher in Taiwan. I just saw your post of "Popsicle Matching" and really love this great idea!! Actually, me and my friends really enjoy reading your blog and appreciating your creative teaching ideas. I am wondering if it is welcome that I share this "Popsicle Matching" idea on my page with a photo and a direct link to your blog with other EFL teachers?? It will certainly inspire most of them!

best,
Kate

Kirby said...

Of course, Kate, no problem! Glad this is helpful to you! I hope your students enjoy it! :)